Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Too Legit

So I couldn't help myself with the post title. A good friend of mine commented last night about me going legit so it only seemed fitting. Going legit with what you might ask?

I made the leap into the world of Facebook business pages. We're local only for now but it's still a huge step to me. You can check it out by clicking here. I've also linked this blog to my page so hopefully that motivates me to keep it updated. As another friend put it, I'm a quarterly poster ;), I'd have to say that "quarterly" in itself is kind, I wouldn't even say I'm quarterly about it!

I won't have any pictures in this post, fumbling with the camera in the kitchen is not my strong suit at all, in fact I love my camera and would hate for it to have an accident such as falling into a pot of hot bubbling jam or anything of the like.

It's one of those days where you can't really call it nasty but it surely isn't nice out either, ya know what I'm talking about? Overcast, gloomy, not raining but not sprinkling either...a steady depressing misting sort of day....My son woke up this morning sound a bit congested, coughing here and there, and with my still-swollen-from-wisdom-teeth-extraction-face I decided today was going to have to be another soup day, a chicken soup day. Hopefully that will keep him from getting any worse, I'll probably give him some warm lemon and honey water too for the cough.

So how am I going to make my soup? As I scanned the pantry I realized I'm completely out of homemade chicken stock (bummer, put that on the weekend project list) so we'll be doing it a little different today. We had roasted chicken 2 nights ago so I'll use the leftovers from that with the makings for stock in my soup pot and maybe, and I cringe as I type this, some chicken bouillon for added flavor. The soup pot is really a blank canvas asking for different combinations and flavors to be added to it. I'll share what's going into mine today

Leftover Roasted Chicken (2 breast pieces and some dark meat)
2 large carrots halved
1 onion sliced
3 cloves of roasted garlic
2 ribs of celery halved
coarse sea salt (to taste)
whole peppercorns (to taste)
1 bay leaf
allspice berries (to taste)
chicken bouillon cube (optional)

I like to cook down my onions so they give off a sweet and buttery flavor and texture to the soup so start with that. Put some olive oil (or butter) in the bottom of your soup pot and cook up the onions until tender. Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Cover with water. I usually add in 4 peppercorns and 3 allspice berries so I don't overpower everything else and about a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring everything to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover. Mine will go for a couple of hours, if your veggies get to mushy you can always strain out the stock, pick the meat off the bones and return the meat to the stock then add in some new vegetables so they aren't complete mush and reheat and readjust the seasonings. If you want to add noodles do so at the end of cooking so they aren't overdone. Or serve with crusty bread. My husband is going the Primal/Paleo route so I try to avoid serving him temptation.

That's my soup though! I'll do my best to share at least one recipe a week if not more. What do you put into your soup pot on days like today?



No comments:

Post a Comment